The 2018 AIA Jury of Fellows elevated 154 AIA members to its prestigious College of Fellows, an honor awarded to members who have made significant contributions to the profession of architecture. Three AIA Pennsylvania members are among the class of 154. The Fellowship program was developed to elevate those architects who have made a significant contribution to architecture and society and who have achieved a standard of excellence in the profession. Election to fellowship not only recognizes the achievements of architects as individuals, but also their significant contribution to architecture and society on a national level.
Out of a total AIA membership of over 90,000, fewer than four percent of members are distinguished with the honor of fellowship and honorary fellowship. The elevation to fellowship is conferred on architects with at least 10 years of membership in the AIA in one or more of the following nomination categories:
- Promoted the aesthetic, scientific, and practical efficiency of the profession
- Advanced the science and art of planning and building by advancing the standards of architectural education, training or practice
- Coordinated the building industry and the profession of architecture through leadership in the AIA and other related professional organizations
- Advanced the living standards of people through an improved environment
- Made the profession of ever-increasing service to society
The three newly elevated fellows, their component affiliation, and nomination category are as follows:
- Kiki Bolender, FAIA, LEED AP Principal at Bolender Architects | Philadelphia | AIA Philadelphia, Service to Society
- Jules Dingle, FAIA Principal at DIGSAU | Philadelphia | AIA Philadelphia, Design
- George C. Skarmeas, PHD, FAIA, FAPT, NCARB, AICP Partner and Design Director at Preservation Design Partnership | Philadelphia | AIA Philadelphia, Preservation
The 2018 Fellows will be honored at an investiture ceremony at the AIA Conference on Architecture in New York City. Additionally, AIA Pennsylvania will be hosting our annual Alumni and Fellows Reception honoring the newly inducted Pennsylvania fellows and celebrating the seven NAAB accredited Pennsylvania schools of architecture on Friday, June 22 from 7pm – 8:30pm.