Capitol Advocacy & Education
From its Harrisburg headquarters, AIA Pennsylvania manages state government affairs on behalf of all its members. The Government Affairs Committee, in collaboration with staff, oversees these responsibilities:
- Reviews and monitors state legislative activities
- Develops AIA Pennsylvania’s positions on legislative issues
- Represents AIA Pennsylvania’s interests involving state agencies
- Plans and implements advocacy and communication strategies
- Informs and engages AIA members in government affairs activities (e.g., Architects Action Day)
Major Legislative Issues and Initiatives
- Updated Building Codes
Status of 2015 I-Codes Adoption The UCC Review and Advisory Council (RAC) is charged with reviewing the latest triennial code revisions of the ICC codes, except for the accessibility provisions, and must inform the Department of any code revisions that should be adopted into the UCC. On May 29, 2015, the UCC RAC informed the Department that 16 triennial code revisions shall be adopted. The department promulgated regulations based on the RAC’s adoptions. Therefore, the 2009 edition of the ICC codes remain in effect with the addition of the adopted 2015 code provisions.
- School Construction Reimbursement/PlanCon (Planning and Construction Workbook)
- Mandatory Continuing Education
- Green Building & Sustainable Design
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Mechanics’ Lien
2016 Architects Action Day Legislative Blueprint
(click on the blueprint to download the PDF)
Need to know where your elected officials stand on the issues, review voting records and campaign finances?
Visit www.vote-smart.org for a non-partisan, comprehensive evaluation of your elected leader’s available public policy positions and public record.